Monday, July 26, 2010

Our Weekend

As crazy as it sounds, Richard and I had our first ever weekend alone to take a short vacation together - just the two of us. We have been married a little of 7 years and in that time no "just the two of us" vacation has been had. We didn't go on a honeymoon when we first got married, then we decided to save money and go on one when school got out that summer. Well, I had applied for to teach summer school and during that time Richard was laid off from his job so we postponed once again. Eventually you postpone it so long that it just never happens and that is what has happened in this case. Fast forward 7 years later and 4 kids, we had a camping trip with my parents planned. My mom decided that perhaps she really wasn't in the mood to go anywhere that she was just going to stay home, but that the little kids could still come over since Kayann and Abi would be there. Then all of the sudden (not sure whose idea exactly) but my mom was volunteering to keep the two older boys too...that's all 6 grandkids and one of Josh's friends for the weekend. And she says, you two can go somewhere. We already had both taken time off and had the money for some type of vacation so there was no argument from us. We began planning.


We were able to get a great rate at a wonderful hotel in New Orleans, booked a swamp tour, had plans to eat great food and enjoy lots of relaxing jazz music. At least we did until we woke up Friday morning and saw that New Orleans was getting a nasty, ugly, rude, and uninvited visitor...TS Bonnie. I don't know about you, but I'd rather NOT hang out in NOLA with any storm that has the honor of earning a name for itself. By 9:30 all reservations for the weekend were cancelled and refunds issued.


In the meantime, we found a suite in Austin that was great and had an even better rate that we were able to stay 3 nights there. We arrived early evening on Friday, had dinner and spent the evening at Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, finished off by listening to a band a few bars down. I enjoyed the band much better outside where it wasn't quite so loud, but I'm positive after Friday evening on 6th street that I can't hang like I used too past 9pm.

Saturday morning we woke up and did some driving around enjoying the sights of the hillcountry, found a great camping spot on Lake Travis, and headed to the Cypress Valley Canopy Tours (aka ZIPLINES!) It was the best time ever!!!

Richard and me on a SkyBridge at the Canopy Tours (about 60ft up)

Since we had done the beginning canopy tour they gave us a $30 discount on the challenge course so we decided the sign up for that the following day. So much fun and amazing what your mind will not let you overcome to face fear. (But more about that in my next post about ziplining.) Saturday evening we had a great dinner and enjoyed a comedy show at the Velveeta Room.

Sunday we woke early and headed back to the ziplines for the challenge course. Afterwards, we were wiped out and ready for some lunch. We were surprised to see so many restaurants and spots closed on a Sunday afternoon in Austin. Saturday was hopping - people out on bikes, running, kayaking, just all over people everywhere, then Sunday - all is still and quite. We grabbed a burger finally, then headed to the highest point in Austin - Mount Bonnell. Initially it looks like you climb a bunch of stairs and see a great view and that's all, but if you venture out just a bit further to each side of the view, you can get some even better views and find a few trails to hike through on this cliff. We hiked back down the cliff and headed back to our hotel to clean up.

Me on the Cliff at Mt Bonnell (Austin's highest point @ 770ft)

Then it was off to the Bob Bullock Museum to see the movie Inception at the IMAX. Since we had already learned on our trip that we are worthless at 9pm, we headed back to the hotel after the movie. Richard fell asleep immediately but I wanted to find a great place for breakfast tacos that I knew had been featured on Food Network. After finding the location on the web, I realized I had seen this place on previous trips but wasn't a place I would have thought twice about stopping at, but I was adventurous this weekend and since I had seen it on Food Network, I figured the food had to be good. It is the funniest looking place, but has good service and good tacos.

Maria's Taco Xpress on Lamar

And then it was time to head home. It's amazing how quick you can make a trip without a million pitstops with noone on the same pitstop schedule. Only one stop on the way home :)


Thanks Mom for keeping the kids so that Richard and I could enjoy this time together. It was something we realized on this trip that we really needed. Richards mom has no offered to do the same so that Richard and I can get away again. WOW - where to now (but not too soon, I don't want all the fun in a short time....it took 7 years to get this one)?

No comments: