I came into my room this afternoon to finish folding laundry and this was set up in front of the window. Jordonna has been "practicing" her ballet so she is plenty ready for her first class next week. I had put on some music from Pandora radio and she was having the time of her life. I asked if this was the audience. Her response, "That is my grandfather and he has a special place for my dance show." Melt my heart! She doesn't remember her Granddaddy since he passed when she was just turning a year old, but she knows who the awesome man in this photo is, which I'm pleased with. And as for his special place for the show - yes, baby girl Granddaddy will always have a special place watching over you in everything you do!
And an update on Tony and his surgery:
The surgery itself went well. He did have trouble coming out so they had to give him a breathing treatment. He initially refused pain medication and then went back to sleep. I had asked if I could consent for him to have pain meds through his IV since he was sleeping but because of his breathing issues after surgery they couldn't. Luckily, I caught Dr. Pine in the hall after he visited with another family and explained that we could not take him home on the 1 1/2 drive if he was not going to take any pain meds, plus it was already 5:30 that evening. Dr. Pine went in and explained to him, "Alright, kid if you want to go home you are going to have to wake up and take some pain meds. Then I will let you go home. Otherwise you get to spend the night with me." He negotiated on the flavor and took some meds. Of course the first thing out of his mouth was, "Let's go home." As soon as we left the hospital, he wanted to eat. He was adamant about having chicken nuggets even after us warning how painful that might be. He actually ate 1 and then we stopped and got mac and cheese - he finished it off quickly.
We have had a rough couple of days since. He wouldn't drink anything and of course eating was completely out of the question now. His fever sat right above 101 for 3 days which worried me as we approached the weekend, but the doctor's office assured me that he was okay but if he still refused to drink anything to take him in for IV's that evening. Once I got home I finally found the trick to get some liquids in him - thumb on the straw and drop it in his mouth. After doing that for about an hour, I saw a sports bottle in the cabinet. It is now the only thing he is using, but he is getting plenty of liquids now. Today (Sunday) he finally ate some Ramen noodles. MawMaw came in today and will stay with him for the next 3 days. We noticed that his body is beginning to use his fat since he hasn't eaten - you can see his skin changing on his sides...poor guy!
Even though he has not let me leave his side very much for the past few days, I can't imagine any other 8 year old being as brave and as strong as this kid. Do you know that the last pain meds he had was what he took just so he could leave the hospital. And by the way, he is loving all the Lego's everyone is bringing him.
He's sad he missing the first day of school (actually 3 days) but his teacher has sent him notes and called him. They have all his school supplies set up and waiting for him when he returns on Thursday.


No comments:
Post a Comment