Thursday, December 29, 2011

It is called Holiday Break - TAKE A BREAK!

If we are given two weeks to rejuvenate, refresh, and enjoy time with family and friends, then by golly why do we rush through the break to only find it is gone and all you did was work, work, work. I really should have sat in front of my computer and did some work I was contracted to do over the holidays.




But after spending the first week RUSH RUSH RUSH to finish everything and prepare for various events and being so sick I needed to feel as if I really did have a break. As soon as Christmas was over, I went back into full cleaning mode preparing for inlaws later that week. If I kept going my break would be over in no time at all but my to-do list would be done. I had the whole week planned - planned as in which rooms/areas to clean each day. No time for fun. No time for play. And that invite from my parents to come up for a birthday dinner and spend a couple of days just put a kink in things. I was not excited about going. I really wanted a good excuse to stay home to finish all I had on my list (really it is just my list, just me saying this must happen) But I really didn't have a good excuse so Josh, Willow and I packed up and headed to the farm. The minute we arrived - even just at the gate, I knew it was the best decision. Jordonna, Tony and Jordonna were already there with my parents, brother and his girls. Jordonna was so excited to see us and the dog. We took a walk around the pond - she ran free and so did Willow. (Did I mention Willow was the most excited to have free roam of all this land!)

We walked through the woods so she could show me the fort they had worked on that day. Then we headed up to the barn by crossing over the dried lake. We did stop briefly so she could dance for us.


Brown Cow was at the barn ready to greet us. She is so friendly and walks right up to you.
Jordonna waited patiently for Brown Cow to come over for another handful of hay.

Tony feed a few others that came over to join us.

Dylan is a natural at the farm. He was loading up firewood to take back to the house but he wanted to bring out a bit more hay for the cows (and the kids).

And when you walk around the pond, through the woods, across the lake and all the way the barn, a lift back is gladly appreciated. These three rode in the bucket of the tractor (not without Dylan teasing them by lifting the bucket along the way) and Jordonna and I rode on the fender. Thanks for the lift Dylan!



Josh on the other hand was left back at the house to do a few hours of work - he had a past due phone bill to work off.




The weather was chilly but perfect to spend the day outside. Early evening, Dylan built a fire out front of the house. I sat by the fire with a blanket, feet propped up and read a book.


Mom made an amazing pot of spaghetti - best I've had in a very long time. Mimi stirred that pot! When our crew finished off the entire pot, we sang Happy Birthday to Kayann.


That evening, we gathered tree stumps and roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. Some of the kiddos attempted to sleep out by the fire. Once the howling started from a nearby coyote, Tony came and joined Jordonna and I in our bed inside.

As much as I dreaded packing, driving over, stopping all the other things I had going on at home...the 2 days I was there was exactly what I needed in these 2 crazy weeks!

No comments: